Skip to main content

So I haven't said anything in here for a while so, here goes :)

School is going fine, especially now that I am making room for everything I should be doing &c. Here's a short story I wrote for my creative writing class, if you can't figure out what it's about than you're stupid... just kidding of course!

I Know the Boy

I see him through the window. He sits, a look of concern on his youthful features. Kind hands hold the large volume. His eyes, bright as they reflect the light form the sole candle lit on the desk, pause on a place. Slowly, he sets the book down and touches his face, closing his eyes. Afraid he would go to sleep, I walk across the front of the house, making noise on the wood there. His attention is captured and I meet his eyes with mine.
I watch him get up from his seat. He pulls a coat off the wall and, placing it around his shoulders, he disappears from my view. In a moment, he appears once more, coming out of his home, a hand on the frame. I am still as he closes the door and then steps towards me. I back away from him, leaving him.
But not completely. I continue to watch him as his breath mysteriously whitens the air. He heads off into the trees, in a direction away from his home. He pauses there, at the tree line, to gaze back momentarily. As he continues, I follow him. I keep cover in the trees, my feet silent where they land on the pines that cover the ground. I am joined in tracking him by friends. Some are small, flying in the air or scampering beneath my feet. Some are like me, a brother of mine.
The beautiful boy stops after a long walk in a small meadow surrounded by large trees. Slowly, he begins to kneel. Suddenly without notice the boy is attacked by something dark, not of his kind or mine. Calling out nervously, my friends and I are scared. We are not able to help him and feel uncomfortable. Some of them leave us, running away to escape the fear they feel here. I hold my ground, watching and waiting.
The boy calls out, gripping his chest where he lay curled on the ground. I take a step towards him, though I know I cannot help him now.
Miraculously, his attacker flees, leaving the boy panting on the forest floor. My gaze, like his, is drawn upward as very bright light falls down through the trees near him. The boys shields his eyes, moaning at the brightness of the light. A glorious voice, one I have heard before, speaks, filling the glade. The boy peers up. Fright turns to astonishment on his youthful face. I watch, feeling calm and hopeful as an exchange takes place.
I stand my ground, watching until the boy is alone. The natural light of morning is descending now as the world wakes. The light falls gracefully through the trees where the boy kneels, pensive and still.
Quietly I enter the glade, approaching him. He looks up at me, suddenly noticing I am there. He blinks as he watches me. I kneel by his side and push my head under his arm. I help him to his feet and slowly we walk back the way we had come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e