Skip to main content

The Importance of Passion in Education

           As the famous 19th Century German philosopher Friedrich Neitzsche once said, “Do not just live, live with passion.” I would like to change this quote to replace the word “live” with “teach.” After this adjustment, the above quote states nicely the topic of my article: “Do not just teach, teach with passion.”
When you think of the individuals in your life who have had the most influence, who comes to your mind? Think about them, stack them up. Tallest to shortest, oldest to youngest, whatever your fancy may be. They are the people who taught you something about life. How did they do that? What was it about them that made you grab a double glance, pull up a chair, ponder awhile? The person who first comes to my mind does not do so because she’s attractive or because she’s witty. She comes to my mind first because of the way she treats people. When she sees people, she sees them as human beings with loves and dreams and troubles. I look up to her and wish to emulate her because she lives her life with something incredible: passion. The way she treats the people around her is full of love for them. It is palpable, it is beautiful, it is a burst of strong Rexburg wind that flies through you. These are the people we seek to surround ourselves with and learn from.
According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary (2004), Passion means, “Love; also: an object of affection or enthusiasm.” To have passion is to have enthusiasm. Truly influential people are filled with it. There are multiple types of teachers: Bad, mediocre (barely adequate), average, and great. We need not concern ourselves with the first three in that limited list. We want to know about the really great ones: those teachers whose classes fill up in two hours, the teachers that students remember long after leaving their classroom at the end of the semester, those few teachers who truly shine. If we look inside those teachers, what will we see? Enthusiasm! To love what you teach is to teach it well. To teach well, you must first love what you are teaching.
To students, there is a line easily visible that separates the instructors who enjoy their subject and those who do not. The subject you teach is the most interesting, most useful subject in the entire world. This is the message that you should be projecting to your students. How? Your body language and the words you speak should be full of passion for that subject. As human beings, we are programmed to read body language. A study done by Albert Mehrabian concluded that over half the impression we get from someone comes through our body language; above a quarter is from the tone, speed, and inflection of our voice; and a less than ten percent is from what we are actually saying.
Enjoying the subject matter you are trying to share is vital to successful teaching. Helping a student enjoy the subject is a stepping stone to their success. In order to help anyone like something, you must first like it. Let us keep in mind then, that if we want someone to enjoy what we enjoy, if we want them to learn what we are teaching, we must first enjoy it ourselves and then share it with passion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e