Skip to main content

Moths to the Light of the World



There's something beautiful about fire and candlelight. I have always thought this is because people are awed by how destructive something so beautiful can be. Tonight I have thought something else. I have this small candle from somewhere and tonight I lit it for no real reason. Here are my realizations:

 Jesus Christ is called the Light of the World. As his disciples, and members of his church, we also are to be lights (Matt. 5). I think people find fire attractive in part because it reminds of spiritual things. Girls who attend testimony meeting at Girl's Camp around the fire often say (and I agree) that it is one of the most spiritual experiences they have had and probably will have. I admit this to be partially because you have spent days camping in God's nature, away from civilization, but there is almost always a fire at that meeting and it is what every girl, leader, and Priesthood holder are looking at. God so loved the world that he gave his Only Begotten Son that man might look to him and live (See John 3:16 and Hel 8:15). In the very old days, man lived by fire. Without it work could only be done by day and food was consumed raw. Fire, in a way, led to civilization. Likewise, the Light of the Gospel, Jesus Christ, leads to salvation.

 I also realized the small light of the candle does very little right after having the light on. However, after your eyes adjust, or after you put the candle out and relight it, it is amazing how much light it really provides. In a way, this is like trials. When life is dandy and everything is good, the lights are all on, that small candle can be lost in all the artificial light (the natural world, that can often be positive and good). Looking at the small flame, after dwelling in that light, it appears mediocre at best. But when the trials of life strike and those artificial lights go out, whether one by one or all at once, it is in that time that the light of the candle is fully appreciated - But only if viewed properly. If the candle is placed on a low surface, for example the floor, the candle does very little to combat the darkness. If placed higher, its warm light flows over the room and illuminates the area.

 In the trials of our lives, after all the artificial lights (the worldly things that bring happiness) have gone out, we see more clearly the benefit of that candle, the Light of the World. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." When it is dark enough in our lives, we can chose to see what's left that is positive instead of dwelling on the negative. This is much easier if you have the stars, or that candle, to see by.  It is at the times of life filled with trials that we must turn to Christ and let him light our lives by putting him first and holding on until the time comes, however slowly, that the artificial lights come back on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e