Skip to main content

The power of the Atonement to overcome cognitive dissonance


            Cognitive dissonance occurs when one’s thoughts contradict themselves, their thoughts contradict their behaviors, or their behaviors contradict their other behaviors. One of my largest problems with cognitive dissonance was remedied this summer during an internship in California. I had a supervisor over me who was from Columbia. Jeanelle Ariza is a brilliant female scientist who also has a deep testimony of the power of Christ. Every morning she would ask me “how are you today?” and I would tell her I was fine, to which she would squint her eyes, put her little hands on her hips and say in her thick accent, “I don’t believe you.” I believe Jeanelle to have a spiritual gift to read people. She would tell me I was sad. She would ask me why and I had no answer for her. I didn’t feel sad; I felt the way I always had felt. Because of her example and curiosity and compassion, I began introspection and realized that while I acted each day as though I was perfectly happy, inside I didn’t feel that way. The curious thing was that I could not tell you what made me less than happy. One day on the shuttle back from Sacramento, Jeanelle sat beside me and turned to me. She simply said, “Tell me why you are sad.” And we talked about the sad things of the world. I described for her some reasons that were perhaps beneath the sadness she so easily read in me. We talked for the forty minute shuttle ride and during that time Jeanelle bore her testimony to me of the power of Christ to heal and change us. At this same time I was living with a family who had suffered through their son struggling with severe depression. The parents were extremely loving and such happy people. The mother was an especially kind and loving woman who showed happiness in all her actions. She also spoke to me during this time about the ability we have to be happy despite our circumstances. I did a lot of thinking about the difference in the way I presented myself to the world and the way I felt inside. In this environment, and with the help of these two amazing women, I decided to align myself and did so with the help of studying the enabling power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
            The understanding of how we all experience cognitive dissonance can be very beneficial. The old adage that knowledge is power still holds true. The more you understand of a topic, the better prepared you are to deal with it in your everyday life and the human psyche is no different. To truly live your life it only makes sense to gain all the knowledge available about your own mind and the why’s and how’s of it all. Being aware of cognitive dissonance allows us to stop and say, “There. There I am experiencing cognitive dissonance.” And then make a course correction.

            While struggling to grow this summer in the beauty of California, I made the enabling power of the Atonement my focus in my personal study. As I learned from Jeanelle about the dissonance in my behavior with my thoughts, I came to understand more fully the problem behind living a life where you aren’t sure why you live the way you do. Though I couldn’t say why, I was sad every day. This is completely against the eternal plan, even the Plan of Happiness, as described to the prophets of old. “Men are that they might have joy.” I wanted to be happy, not just tell people I was, especially if I didn’t have any good reason to not be! With the strength that comes when we realize Whose we are, I was able to apply the Atonement more fully in my life and change for the better.  The Atonement of Christ gives strength to us and reminds us that we are indeed children of the Divine. The cognitive dissonance between this truth and the actions that come from our earthly state can be reduced through Jesus Christ. It takes recognition, humility, repentance, pulling on the power of Christ to change our hearts, and then action. I was indeed given a change of nature towards happiness and was given alignment that can only come from on High. 

Comments

Kimba said…
Love this! Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr