Skip to main content

David James

Early this morning I received a painful phone call. My dear brother David has left this place. David’s was a difficult life. I believe to some extent that what we pass through while here in mortality was of our own choosing under the guidance of God. That being said, I can’t imagine having picked David’s cards. There at the end he had not been himself for a while.

Mostly today I have been touched by the love of others and the peace from the Comforter, even the third member of the Godhead. I know that David loves us. I know he is safe. I know he is now a part of the angels that watch over and protect me and mine. For this knowledge I am grateful to God.

From his talk in 1992 entitled “Doors of Death,” Elder Russell M Nelson said: “Irrespective of age, we mourn for those loved and lost. Mourning is one of the deepest expressions of pure love. It is a natural response in complete accord with divine commandment: “Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die.” (D&C 42:45)


"Moreover, we can’t fully appreciate joyful reunions later without tearful separations now. The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life.

"’This life [was to become] a probationary state; a time to prepare to meet God.’ (Alms 12:24) But we regarded the returning home as the best part of that long-awaited trip, just as we do now.”
“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” (Ps 116:15)

"Meanwhile, we who tarry here have a few precious moments remaining to “prepare to meet God.

"Unfinished business is our worst business. Today we have a  little more time to bless others – time to be kinder, more compassionate, quicker to thank and slower to scold, more generous in sharing, more gracious in caring.



"To you our loved ones may be just as close as the next room – separated only by the doors of death. With that assurance, love life! Cherish each moment as a blessing from God. Live it well – even to your loftiest potential.”

I know David would echo Elder Nelson’s sentiments that we should continue to live to love life and to live well, even to our loftiest potential.


Until we meet again at the right hand of God, I love you Davie (1986-2015)



Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry, Dave was a really sweet kid, great smile, always reaching out for ways to be helpful. Sorry to hear he died.
Thank you. It's true he has a helpful spirit. Love that about him. His is a loss to all of us and so I'm sorry also for your loss. I know we will see him again. He is having a time being in heaven and now guarding all of us who still have to pass through this life.

Popular posts from this blog

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e