Skip to main content

Med student life

After a very long road trip with one of my best friends (love you Kirsten!), I spent several days getting to know my new home.

Things I hate about Yakima, WA:

  • Where are my MOUNTAINS?!
  • The homeless people hanging out at gas stations
  • It took me awhile to find a grocery store I felt comfortable shopping at (These are things I never had to really think about before. I suppose when I moved to Idaho for my undergrad I spent some brain power deciding where I would get gas and where I would do my shopping but it seemed like all my choices were good ones - and they had a Maverik.)
  • There is no Maverik
  • The money it takes to set up your kitchen! I completely forgot about this. I haven't had to buy basics like SALT since 2007 when I started my undergrad, (Seriously, those large things of salt last ages.)
  • I'm so far from my family. (Although, I will share that I haven't struggled with this as much as I thought I would and I count that as a real blessing. The only time I've been moved to tears over being far from my family is when my mom left after my white coat ceremony and I woke up really early the next morning and sobbed.)
  • The amount of eligible, LDS men is basically any number raised to the power of (0) but I haven't found him yet, I'm just giving the city the benefit of the doubt here.
  • The parties the students in my class throw revolve around drinking. I don't drink and that makes parties here boring as tomato soup. (This is not an invitation to share with my your great-great-aunt's tomato soup recipe which actually has a lot of flavor. I don't like soup but thanks for wanting to share!)
Thins I have loved about Yakima, WA:
  • The Prests (This family is friends with my mission president and his family and they are the salt of the earth. I love them. I can't wait to grow up a little more and be like the Prests because seriously people, they are the best of the best.)
  • U-pick fruit places. Getting raspberries, peaches and tons of blueberries for next to nothing? Not quite as wonderful as shopping at your parents' house but it gets a little close.
  • My apartment and my roommate. It's SO NICE living with only one other person. And when that person is as kind and wonderful as the future Dr. not-K--- (she's getting married next year), then you really strike gold.
  • The library system. Bless their hearts, when I didn't have any mail they still let me check out two books at a time and didn't bat an eye when I was coming back every two days to switch them out.
  • BEING A MEDICAL STUDENT (which honestly could fit, though not equally, on both lists.)
That's not an exhaustive list but I'm exhausted so it'll do for now! 

We got our white coats last week during orientation. Orientation was too long. It was horrendous. Okay, maybe it wasn't THAT bad but when you put 144 students in a room who are anxious to just.get.started and you talk at them for five days straight more or less? Yeah... That was fun.

But they did feed us lunch every day, I met some truly remarkable people who will be working with me for two years, I had some questions answered, we had one day where we were broken into groups and we just did assigned service around the area, and we got our student-physician gear (i.e. stethoscope, sphygmomanemeter (Cool, huh? it's a blood pressure cuff. No worries, I didn't know that either), name badges to get into the buildings, etc.)

And then school started. I really don't have time to write this blog post. If you'd like an exhaustive list of the other things I should be doing it would be longer than both those bulleted lists above. 

We are in class basically from 8-5. They tell you to expect to do 40 hours of studying outside class. And don't forget to keep up your hobbies! And get enough sleep! And stay hydrated! And make sure you're working out too. And eating nutritiously.

We cover in an hour something we would have taken a week to cover at my undergrad. My friend Sarah put it well when she said "Have we been here 4 days or 4 months?!" Dude, no idea. 

I'm still figuring out how to study. The tools you use during your undergrad just don't work because there isn't enough time to go over everything again. I'm still figuring out my sleep schedule. I go to bed early because I'm exhausted and then wake up early to get enough studying in and then have to take a nap because I'm so tired and end up staying up late and getting up late. It's a real mess. It'll smooth out (I hope), just give me some time.

We received our assigned cadavers today. I read a book before coming to school - written by a philosophy professor who took a semester off teaching to observe an anatomy lab at a medical school. The way the students started their journey in the cadaver lab was completely different from mine. In the book there was a priest available to talk to students. They received a lot of instruction about the way to treat the bodies they would be observing. There was a lot of trepidation. It smelled awful. That was true in my case too. We moved as a large group from the lecture hall to the anatomy lab. There was a nervous energy in the hallways. People pulled their gloves on. Found their table. All the tables had the sides up and locked, protecting the bodies inside. My group looked around, wondering if we could get started (we'd been given a list of things to accomplish which included covering and wetting the hands, feet, and head as well as turning the body face down - we're starting on the back next week). Other tables were starting so we just did too. There was little hesitancy. Two of them took one side. Two of us the other. We unhatched the metal, lifted it down, locked it in place. The cadaver was covered in a blue sheet, zipped in. We unzipped it. The first thing I noticed was the waxy, yellow color of legs. And then I noticed we had a man. His feet, hands, and head were all covered in cloth under plastic. All we had left to do was flip him, cover him in a sheet, wet it down, zip him up and close the lid back up. We stood the four of us around the table, looking down. "How do we flip him?" I asked. We had no idea how to go about moving a dead body. Three of us have some experience with cadavers but none of us had had to physically move one like that. So I fetched an instructor. The older gentleman came over. I asked my question again. "Carefully!" He said with a small chuckle and then while giving verbal instructions, he grabbed our cadaver by one arm and one leg and pulled him to the side of the table before lifting him with my help and turning him on his face. It didn't seem all that careful to me. And it didn't seem like we were moving a human body either.

We finished covering and wetting the cadaver. We looked at each other. Without assigning tasks, we cleaned the table down and got it locked up and parted ways.


The biggest thing I've learned since I officially started school on Monday is not to compare. Keep you eyes forward and your ears open for your instructor and don't judge what you're doing to the people next to you - they don't really know what they're doing either. Not yet.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share