Skip to main content

Make that day today

 My older sister is a huge country fan. One of her favorite singers since she has been young is Tim McGraw. He sings a song entitled "One of These Days." The song is about love and how everyone is searching for it, not only in other people but also in yourself. At the end, McGraw sings, "One of these days, I'm gonna love me and feel the joy of sweet release. One of these days, I'll rise above me and at last I'll find some peace...One of these days, I'm gonna love me."

 God created us in his infinite wisdom to feel some kind of emptiness that is only filled when we find someone we truly connect with, who we love, who loves us, who we feel we can share eternity with. Part of that empty part of us is left empty until we also find love for ourselves.

 We are told in Leviticus 19:18, in Matt 5:43-44, in Matt 23:37-40, Romans 13:9, and again in Galatians, James, Mosiah and even the Doctrine and Covenants "Love thy neighbor as thyself." It is one of the great commandments ever given to us by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and something he showed through great example. When I read this commandment, there is one part of it that always sticks out to me. We are to love our neighbor, that is true and important, but the commandment is to love them as we love ourselves. That means we have been commanded to love us! Isn't that great!? And when we don't, we cannot truly fulfill this commandment.

 A really important part of life is finding love in us, for us. God wants us to be happy with who we are. I was once told that when we allow a negative self-image to come into our thoughts, we are mocking God. He created us just the way we are and when we are discontented with that we are telling God that he did not do a good job. I know that no one looks at themselves and says, "I look ugly. Great job God *mumble mumble*" But isn't that kind of what we are doing? God made you! God's perfect! What does that mean for you?

 President Thomas S. Monson (who I just love to pieces!) said, "To live greatly, we must develop the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility. You ask, “How might we achieve these goals?” I answer, “By gaining a true perspective of who we really are!” We are sons and daughters of a living God, in whose image we have been created. Think of that: created in the image of God. We cannot sincerely hold this conviction without experiencing a profound new sense of strength and power."

 To go along with that, there is a well known quote (often incorrectly credited to Nelson Mandela) by Marianne Williamson that says, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

 I love this quote. Especially for the very end, "We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us... As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." Love yourself and it helps others love themselves too? Very, very cool. We strive to help others when we can. Helping them love themselves can be easy: it requires no money, no hard work, no sacrifice. It is simple: strive to love yourself and let it show through your bearing and actions.

 So as McGraw wrote, "One of these days, I'm gonna love me," let that day be today. Because who knows how many more each of us has. Be happy! Smile at yourself in the mirror and say, "Great job Father!" and then maybe wink and do a little dance or something. I think He'll like that.

Comments

J said…
Nice job Itsy---I love the Nelson Mandella quote ;)

Popular posts from this blog

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e