Skip to main content

The Power of Stillness

"When you rest in quietness and your image of yourself fades, and your image of the world fades, and your ideas of others fade, what's left? A brightness, a radiant emptiness that is simply what you are." Adyashanti

 Lately I have been thinking more about Jesus Christ and the attributes that make one more like him. One that has stood out to me lately is stillness. When you think of stillness what do you think of? I think of humility, the ability to listen, to stand quietly and observe. If you take time to observe children, often they want badly to be the center of attention. Not all of them are this way. Some kids grow out of it. Some don't. I like being the center of attention, having people listen to what I'm saying and react appropriately. I like making people laugh, knowing it was something I said or did that made them happy. But lately, I have been trying more and more to just sit back, to observe, to listen and be still.

I like bright clothing, bright tights and mismatched earrings. Lately, I have been finding my desire for these things waning. These objects set me apart, drew attention to me. I don't really care for that anymore. It is interesting to me the experiences we have as children of God that lead to out growth and change. You never have experiences realizing how they'll change you. During experiences we can never say, "Oh this will change me." We may say this is teaching me patience, but we never know it's going to. When it says, "And we glory in tribulation," in Romans 5, I think we glory in tribulation because it changes us. We have many experiences in life, many set backs and leaps, many faith building or faith crushing happenings. This is called Existence. It is the whole reason we come to this earth: to be tested, to grow, to change, and to be perfected - one tiny step at a time.

 I live in the country, which means there isn't much to do. One of the things I like about this is I have a lot of time to simply think. I like thinking about the person I used to be. If I look back a month, a year, multiple years I can see so many changes. They happen gradually and so often they come as the price of hard experience. When I am still, when I take time to listen, the Spirit whispers to me. It speaks to me easier in the soft whispers of one who knows the recipient of their directions is listening and willing to act. That last part is crucial. In 2nd Nephi 2:14 it states "...There is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon." In his talk entitled "Watching with all Perseverance," Elder David A Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles states, "As children of our Heavenly Father, we have been blessed with the gift of moral agency, the capacity and power of independent action. Endowed with agency, we are agents, and we primarily are to act and not merely be acted upon—especially as we “seek learning … by study and also by faith” (D&C 88:118). As gospel learners, we should be “doers of the word, and not hearers only” (James 1:22). Our hearts are opened to the influence of the Holy Ghost as we properly exercise agency and act in accordance with correct principles—and we thereby invite His teaching and testifying power."

 Bednar states that our hearts are opened to the influence of the and we invite his teaching when we show that we will act at his direction. When we show the Holy Ghost that we are willing to follow him, it is more likely that we will receive direction. Part of showing him our willingness, is showing him our stillness. If we are quiet and still we are better prepared to receive revelation. I'm okay not being the center of attention, not only becomes it makes it easier for me to receive heavenly revelation, it also makes me a calmer presence. Wouldn't you rather have someone around you who is calm and listening to you rather than a rambunctious individual who is seeking your attention?

"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience. And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." (Romans 5:3-5)

"Therefore, let your heart be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God" (D/C 101:16)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e