Skip to main content

From Omaha, NE

The idea for this blog post comes from a blog I occasionally read called The Freckled Fox. She calls these posts "Taking Stock":


Seeing: all the dogs sleeping, a nephew playing, ceiling fans turning, grey clouds.
Making: an effort to not disappear into the bedroom I'm staying at while in Nebraska with family (kids'll do that to me)
Cooking: nothing. Since I'm visiting family in Omaha, I haven't done much cooking. But while here I have made my absolute favorite PB cookies which are easy and delicious
Drinking: sooooo much water - still not enough
Reading: a guide for everything you need to know about medical school and Pushkin's Eugene Onegin
Hearing: the pot on the stove cooking the bottles which contain my SIL Nicole's homemade spaghetti sauce
Wanting: the next year to speed by - I am tired of fretting about med school applications and would like the whole thing finished - please?
Looking: forward to visiting the zoo tomorrow :) 
Playing: less music on the guitar than I'd like
Wasting: time
Understanding: you have to live in the now. It won't wait, you know.
Wishing: I was in a bookstore right now, yes please
Touching: dog fur ever day which is so therapeutic 
Enjoying: that moment at night when you finally feel your head hit the pillow and you know everything else can wait a minute...or 360
Waiting: until I'll find him
Planning: what I'll say in medical school interviews. I have a year but I'm freaked out enough that early prep is good 
Liking: my SIL's zucchini cookies (with cream cheese on top - scrumptious)
Wondering: about how a man who spent his life making others smile could be so sad he'd end his own life
Loving: cuddle time with my nephews and playing catch with the dogs 
Hoping: for more faith and courage
Hating: that I hate being single (it comes and goes :P)
Needing: a dip in the ocean, a good romantic mystery, a girl's night with my BFF, a hand to hold, it to be 2016
Smelling: TOMATOES. So much tomato...
Wearing: my pj's aaaaaaall day - yup
Learning: parenthood is way harder than it looks and I'm so uninterested at this moment. Being an aunt is enough. And that my sister is an amazing mother.
Teaching: myself to listen and to be quiet - I'm not any good really 
Noticing: how hard it is to be at home every day with your kids without breaks or holidays, etc.
Tasting: tomatoes haha recognizing a theme maybe? And WAY too much good food. Good thing maxi skirts are so popular.
Knowing: that time goes on and life is good and God is real and the best therapy is working out in the morning and hanging with dogs all day
Thinking: WHERE DO THEY GET THAT ENERGY???
Bookmarking: blog posts, guitar tabs, Ted Talks, and helps to get into med school. And not enough actual paper
Opening: my eyes each morning to a new day, a new start, a new moment of faith and courage and patience. So much patience.
Laughing: with my Nicole about Mormon humor. She's wonderful and it's always nice to laugh with someone who shares my humor 
Feeling: a little frazzled, and surprisingly tired when I lack the right to be, but mostly glad for the day
Studying: the last General Conference and restarting the Book of Mormon - Nephi's quests and courage.

Comments

Tammy Toth said…
Your muse was inspiring...Miss you
Unknown said…
Love everything you wrote! It makes me miss you more! Sometimes when I dream it is 2008 and I'm in ricks hall with you Candi Rachel and Lara making popcorn balls
Oh I miss both of you! What wonderful women you are. Cate! Someday soon I want to hug you and kiss the cheeks off those babes of yours!

Popular posts from this blog

I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr