Skip to main content

The power behind destruction




Pablo Picasso was one of the co-founders of the movement in art known as "Cubism," sometimes recognized as the most influential art movement of the 20th century. I find his work mostly rather difficult to look at. It's just not a style that I care for. But he was terribly influential not only in art but also music and literature - which have always been influenced by the artwork of the day.

This piece is entitled "The guitarist"
 I don't mind this one. It's a Picasso from 1910


Picasso said,

"Every act of creation is first an act of destruction."



In light of the recent news involving Nepal, the 7.5 magnitude earthquake and the resulting pictures, I've been thinking about this quote. Before we can make something, we have to have starting materials which sometimes have been created through destruction and then we create with these creations. It's a sort of chain effect. As they will begin to rebuild in the aftermath of the earthquake, many of their building materials will come from those caused first by destruction. Also, the places they will build up have been destroyed by the earthquake which will then lend space for growth and creation.


destruction in Nepal


Can you see how this concept applies in your life?



The idea of going to medical school has been weighing heavily on my mind lately. It is near to the time when applications need to be submitted and fears of failure float around me constantly. Because of this, I've been contemplating the series of occasions that have led me to this point.  The creation of me as a doctor, has come through my own experiences in "destruction."



Let me explain what I mean by that. I had to have my old view of my future altered to make room for this new vision. I had to have my idea of my own limitations destroyed to make room for confidence in my own abilities. I had to allow the destruction of my pride and confusion and doubt. I constantly am re-destroying the concepts in that last sentence.

I enjoy this picture, drawn by a man who wrote an essay on this topic, Bobby Matherne in 2002:



It is an interesting concept - allowing destruction that creation might happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr