Skip to main content

Taking Stock - IV


Seeing: the bright sun shine on Aunt K’s piano, sleeping old cats, comfort
Making: sure I am trying to be my best self every new day
Cooking: brown rice – yum! For dinner: brown rice and stir fry veggies - yum
Drinking: H2O – because I don’t drink enough of it and I’m trying to sugar purge (wish me luck ;)
Reading: do you follow me on Goodreads? On my “currently reading” bookshelf are eight books. Apparently I’m having a hard time of it on settling in and reading just one at a time. I’ve always sort of been like that. It’s because they are different genres. If I’m reading a fantasy novel I also have to be reading something intellectual. Unless, of course, on those rare occasions, I have picked up a fantasy that is intellectual enough to satisfy. In which case, I have to also be reading a non-fiction book or some such.
Hearing: my new running playlist. My dear friend Christy turned me on to some new bands which I am enjoying too loudly on my aunt’s speakers. Currently? Bryce Vine’s “Sour Patch Kids” – have you heard it?
Wanting: to figure out my healthcare *roll eyes here*
Looking: forward to August and my new adventure at MEDICAL SCHOOL in the PNW
Playing: a little each day. you have to do this. it's sanity.
Wasting: too much time on things that don't matter and comparing myself to other people
Understanding: how difficult it can be to be an adult … but how blessed I am to be an adult in the United States
Wishing: for more - more holiness. more humility. more time with my loved ones. 
Touching: the hearts of nine stubborn girls every day (hopefully)
Enjoying: the time I have before I leave and the fact that I don’t have to pay rent ha
Waiting: impatiently for too many things
Planning: to see my brother in a week who I haven’t seen in a year because of a military deployment!! Seriously, I can’t tell you how excited I am for this. I took six days off of work and I get to see more of my family and it’s going to be excellent! Also, it’s over my birthday, so awesomeness is a given
Liking: myself more today as I make better choices – both for my physical and my spiritual health. There are many things outside your control but there is so much that is within it too. It gets so easy to focus on the first and neglect the second.
Loving: the feeling that comes from applying the Atonement of the Savior. Sometimes I go through stretches of time when it seems like I have to apply the redeeming part of the Atonement Every.Single.Day for days and it gets exhausting. Realizing our own weaknesses can sometimes be depressing enough that it just happens to push us to our knees. I live for those stretches of times when I’m applying daily the enabling part of the atonements more thickly than the redeeming. For a better understanding of the enabling power of the atonement of Christ, see this weblink and Elder Bednar’s excellent address here

Hoping: the next five months go relatively quickly
Hating: my lack of funds… money is dumb.
Needing: more travelling! See the above issue haha 
Smelling: the stirfry being finished!!!
Wearing: leggings and my night shirt. Don’t judge – I was very productive today and you have to give yourself little rewards like getting in your comfies before 6 pm occasionally
Learning: pieces of God’s puzzle repeatedly. For example, what it means to be planted on gospel sod and the personal things I need to work on to develop greater faith.
Teaching: girls how to live in a world where they actually aren’t entitled to everything – a surprisingly difficult concept for them to grasp, unfortunately.
Noticing: how with warmer weather my attitude perks up – or maybe it has to do with the weather warming at the same time as I’m getting over tonsillitis and a sinus infection, hmmm
Tasting: freeeeeedoommmm
Knowing: less than I thought I did about so so so many things.
Opening: each day with optimism and mostly hope that I’ll be good that day
Laughing: at myself more everyday and at the world in general. I love that.
Feeling: a need for increased faith. That and way too much anxiety about not having things squared away for the fall – an apartment, replace my laptop, replace my car, health insurance, etc. *shiver*
Studying: less than I ought to really

take the time to check in with yourself. it's a powerful meditative tool and helps you center the world back where it belongs. 

I love this blackout poem:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Dad

To this day, one of my favorite smells is the mix of motor oil and orange scented cleaner. My dad is a mechanic and the cleaner was what he used (uses?) on his hands. Whenever we went camping, my dad always brought his guitar. That is one of the reasons I play too. One of the only memories I have of childhood is after I learned to ride a bike. One day I dragged my dad all over town on our bikes. We stopped for Creamies and squeaky cheese at this little dairy store that is no longer there. I always loved my orchestra concerts. I think more than the playing and being on stage, I loved knowing that if my dad had made it to the concert, I was going to be able to get ice cream with him at the nearby Artic Circle. My dad taught me how to camp, how to love old country music, how to make cookies...my dad makes a mean cookie! Thinking of his smile and laughter Always makes me miss him. And then I cry. He taught me it's okay to cry, even if you're a tough old mechanic. By e
I woke up this morning and after getting some breakfast I stepped out into the dim light of predawn and stood barefoot in the grass. I felt the dew on my feet and the soft cool morning air on my face and hands. I listened but the birds were still asleep. Taking a pair of scissors, I cut a bloom from the rose bush outside my back door.  Life is messy. And sometimes unkind. It is confusing, painful and discouraging. But an amazing thing happens when we decide to take it just one day at a time. It is a lesson I have to learn over and over. Sort of like Charity or Humility or Optimism. I have decided to have faith over fear. To trust that although I can't know what will happen, that a perfect Being who loves me does. And trusting in that is more important to me than knowing. So while it is difficult, and some would say perhaps a cop out for dealing with life, I choose to trust that God cares enough about me to have my best interests at heart. And if He has decided to not share

getting to and through YEAR ONE

Hello? Oh, Hello there! I am excited to talk more about my summer as I enjoy the last few days before I dive into studying hard. It is almost the beginning of the second year of medical school. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. I experienced more pain, suffering, doubt, tears, and heartache than I have ever before in such large doses. I staggered under the weight of my fears and found myself often on my knees with no where else to turn. It was a beautiful place to find myself. Of course it is easy to say that now, looking back as I stand proud. There was a lot that went into my decision to go to medical school. Ultimately it took a lot of prayer and a lot of planning. It took a lot of service hours, a lot of hard work in my undergrad, a lot of conversations with my mother. It was a grueling process which no one can understand until you've been through it. I often doubted I was making the right choice. As I was preparing for the MCAT, which is the entr